Monday, April 28, 2008

Power lines

I wrote this (also in American Poetry) while contemplating powerlines. I meant for it not to necessarily focus on what powerlines actually were but rather what makes a line of poetry powerful. There are some images that ended up sounding rather sketch (I'll be honest, thats kind of why I like this one) but I wanted to capture the essense of powerlines and what they feel like and in an odd way... sound like... I tried to do this with the word choice and rythm. Let me know if I failed or had some mild success...

Swift, invisible, pulsing
current, flowing, passionately
throbbing, pressure, pain
intermixed and intertwined
signals, confused, entangled
nest of words, twig of message, meaning,
thread of feeling, pleasure,
thrill of force, motion compelled,
strong waves coursing
through; composing
straight, curved, chords of definition,
energy, volition;
a power line.

1 comment:

Jess said...

I like this one a lot, and when I read it a few times, and I don't know if this was intentional, but I really like the internal rhyme that's going on. I won't ask why you were contemplating powerlines heh. two spelling things- "passiontly" and "throbing."